Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Saturday, May 17, 2014 (Mettie's Funeral)



Mettie's Funeral Program.

We arrived at 8 am to have some pictures taken of our family together before the viewing started.  Thank you to Darby, Matt's cousin, who captured the entire day for us, literally, the entire day.  All these memories in photograph form are due to her.  She is amazing and has blessed us in so many ways.  We are truly thankful for her and her beautiful talent.

Mettie's floral arrangement  for her casket in the above picture, was another sweet blessing.  My friend, Jeannine, volunteered to make Mettie's.  It was absolutely beautiful and so perfect!!  I am so thankful for her.  My other friend, Jessie, made Mettie's sweet headband that was absolutely fitting for her.  Thank you!

My sister-in-law, Jillian, gathered and set up everything for this display table at the funeral.  It was beautiful!  I am so thankful for her and all she did to help me.

This was an exact replica of Mettie's heart.  A treasured gift from JR & Molly  and Randy & Jenny.  Mettie's favorite yellow duck seen in almost every hospital picture.


The viewing began at 8:30 am and went until 9:45 am.  We appreciated all of those that came thru to see Mettie.  We were grateful for the love and support.  We were then gathered as family in the room with Mettie.  Matt's father gave the family Prayer.  We then said our final goodbyes to our sweet Mettie.  My parents and Matt's parents went first.  Then each of my kids, Matt and I expressed our love to her and placed our letters in Mettie's casket followed with a kiss. I also placed one of her bamboo blankets that she loved, in with her.  Those final goodbyes were so hard, I get emotional every time I think about it.  The Funeral director then closed her casket.





 We went in to the Chapel.  Matt, Tate, Jay and Levi carried Mettie's little casket in and Ellie carried in Mettie's casket spray.



During the funeral, the kids spoke first.  Tate, Ellie, Jay, Levi, and Annie all wanted to say something about their sister Mettie.  They had each written down what they wanted to say about what they learned from Mettie.  They were all able to express some of their feelings.

Tate said, "Mettie taught me so much. She taught me to believe that everyone on the earth is special in their own unique way. She taught me that the Holy Ghost is always there to guide us. She taught me that families are together forever. She taught me that Heavenly Father is always there for everyone. In the name of Jesus Christ amen"


Ellie said,"We were so excited to bring Mettie home. I can feel her love for all of you here today. Mettie taught me to have courage, Mettie was very courageous her whole life. I know Heavenly Father and Jesus love us and are looking out for us. In the name of Jesus Christ Amen."



Jay's words at the funeral:  "I learned from Mettie to have faith in God, to have courage that Heavenly Father will answer our prayers; that the Holy Ghost is with us, that even the smallest people have courage and faith, that people with mental problems have stronger spirits.  Mettie has a very strong spirit.  That is what I learned from Mettie.  I will miss Mettie, but I know that we will be with her again.  In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen"

Levi said, "Mettie was a really special baby.  She was really peaceful.  Mettie only lived 26 days.  She spent her whole life in the hospital except the last 2 hours.  I spent a lot of time in the hospital with Mettie.  I got to hold her in the hospital and read her books.  She had many machines keeping her alive.  Her heart and body had many defects that the doctors could not fix.  The last day, Mettie came home in an ambulance.  I got to hold her for a few minutes without all the machines.  She was having a hard time breathing.  After 2 hours, Mettie stopped breathing and her spirit left her body.  I know Mettie's spirit is still alive.  I know that she is still my sister and that we will be together again.  I'm glad that Mettie came to our family.  I know we can be a family forever because of Jesus Christ.  In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen."

Annie wanted to get up so bad.  I am glad she did!  She said, "I love you Mettie!  I miss you!"






I could hardly look up...I wish I would have to really see everyone that had come.  I even spoke and as I did I still couldn't look all around.  We were so grateful for all the love and support.  I spoke of Mettie's life, the things that you have read about on this blog.  But I know that Mettie lived for 26 days, not for her but for us.  She could have left us on day 1 and she could have left us on day 4, when she coded, and she could have left us anytime between then and when she actually did.  Mettie Skye stayed 26 days so that we could love her and really know her.  So that each of her siblings would feel connected to her, for each of them to want to live their life so that they can return to live with her again in the arms of our Savior.  She lived for us to experience so many tender mercies, for us to see the hand of the Lord in everything that happened.  Mettie lived so that we could bring her home!  She lived 26 days for us!

My children then sang the song, "The Miracle".   The song talks about all the miracles Jesus did during his life on earth, but that the greatest miracle is the Atonement of Jesus Christ that rescues all of us.  The kids did a great job singing it.

My mom then spoke on the tender mercies experienced while Mettie was alive.  I believe that Mettie had a special mission to fulfill and was able to stay long enough for us to know her.  That is the greatest tender mercy we will always remember.

After my mom spoke, my dad spoke about Mette Mortenson.  She crossed the plains with the Willie Handcart Company that got stuck in early snow.  She experienced extreme trials in her life, but always stayed faithful to her belief in Jesus Christ.

All of Mettie's cousins then sang "A Child's Prayer".  I appreciated that all of the cousins could be a part of Mettie's life and a part of the funeral.  She has many cousins on both sides of our family.  It was great to see all of them singing for her.

Matt's mom then spoke on Mette Clemenson.  She also experienced trials at an early age.  Her family was very poor in Denmark.  At an early age, her dad died and her mom could not afford to keep her.  Her mom had to send her to be a servant with her older sister for a rich landowner. While picking up wheat during the harvest, her leg was cut by a scythe and she bled to death in her sister's arms.

Matt then spoke.  Because of the many young cousins that were at the funeral, Matt decided to answer many of the questions that they may be having about Mettie's death.  He did this by answering many of the questions that our own kids have asked the last few days before Mettie died.  

Would Mettie feel any pain when she died?
Where would Mettie go after her death?
Would we ever see Mettie again?
Will Mettie still be a part of our family?

Matt explained that Mettie did not feel any pain when she died because of medicines the doctors gave her, however she did experience a lot of pain and suffering during the 26 days on earth because of the problems with her body.

Mettie's spirit would continue to live after her death in the spirit world.  She would be there waiting for us and we will be excited to see her again.  Her body would be buried in the ground.  Some day, Mettie will be resurrected and her spirit and body will be together again, but this time her body will not have all the defects.

Lastly, Matt explained that because of the Atonement of Jesus Christ and our marriage in the temple, Mettie will always be a part of our family.

After Matt's talk, Bishop spoke briefly, and then Matt's friend John sang "Peace, I leave with you".  John singing this song has always brought peace to Matt and I.  John was able to bring us a little peace at this difficult time.

Matt, Tate, Jay, and Levi then carried Mettie's casket to the hearse outside.  We then proceeded to the Cemetery.  When everyone arrived, Matt gave the Dedication of the Grave.  Mike and Carol then said a few words about their experience with Mettie.



We then passed out white balloons to everyone there and Annie told everyone to let go of their balloons while saying "Live for Mettie".  It was beautiful to see all the balloons.



After everyone left, our family helped lower Mettie's casket into the grave.  Tate wanted to shovel dirt into the grave, so we turned around and let all the kids and Matt and I shovel some dirt on top of her casket.  It was very difficult to say a final goodbye, but was something we will always remember.








No comments:

Post a Comment